Backup storyboard

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Backup storyboard

Post by Christopher6206 »

Hello! This is confusing and hard to explain but I'll do my best. I'm having trouble undertanding how this backing up a storyboard works. I've been backing stuff up for 3 years and I thought I understood how it works but apparently not. I did a project for someone who then wanted to make a few changes to the project. I've been sending her the file when its finished for review. This last time I backed up the project as usual. I've done it the same way each time. I "Export storyboard" in the archives menu. I go into archives in Media Manager, and export the storyboard to a USB flash drive as a .h264 (MP4). This creates 1 large file (.MP4) that I can play with Windows Media Player and Quicktime. I upload this to my client and she plays it with quicktime. This last time I made the final changes. I can see the video if I play it with Media Manager with the correct changes. The Old version is not listed because I deleted before Exporting the new story board. But when I export it to a USB it is the old file without the changes. There is also this button for "MPEG" convert on the "Export Storyboard" that I have had checked and unchecked but had the same result with both. What does this button do?

First off how is creating a back up in this way different from doing a back up in Project settings? I've noticed that when I do a Back up in "DV" mode it makes several different files that have to be played individually (with Quicktime or WMP) because it seems each file has a maximum file size of around 1 GB. The extension is .dv. I think the same thing happens when I do a back up in "DV Back up" mode. Or does it? "Does DV Backup" make one large file where "DV" makes a back up made of serveral files?

And where are the Archives on the computer? Are they on the internal hardrive or are they on my external back up hardrive? Are the archives in DVD arabesk menu creation, title page archives, custom colors, custom images, imported fonts, etc. all in the same place?

Lastly, everytime I do a back up to a USB the computer crashes as soon as it's finished. The main 2 questions here are "Why is Media Manager exporting an old version of a project, that is not even listed in the Archives list, instead of exporting the new version which is listed?" and "How are the different ways of backing up a project/storyboard organized?" Thanks!
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Backup storyboard

Post by Christopher6206 »

One more thing, sometimes the back up is only partial, like 5 minutes of a 20 minute stroyboard? Maybe I just need to do some re installing here but I did do a clean install just a couple of weeks ago. Any help is appreciated. If Ido need to re install the backing up program will HD back up in the System settings do this? Thanks!
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Chris
Below is part of document I put together on the various backup options with the Bogart OS. It may help your case. I’m not sure if I wrote this from OS V5 or V4, but V5 has vastly reduced the need for MM.

As you will see this does not involve the Media Manager. I have not tried exporting backup scenes to another system, but I have certainly used a USB key, or DVD-RW if exporting to a generation 2 unit. I have always used MTS as the format, for pure backup purposes, but HDV should also work OK. This process is not Arabesk, it is purely the story board.

I know this may not help, but since moving from OS V4 to V5, I have far less in the way of crashes.

The backup described below is to an external HDD, not the internal.

Have a look at the process and see if it helps.

Ian

Backup and Restore Story Board
The story board of a project can be copied to an external HDD and later returned to the Internal HDD as required.
Backup
1. From the main Bogart SE menu. click “Project” to enter the “Project Settings” menu.
2. First choose the type of backup by selecting the “Mode”( HDV or MTS). If MTS is selected the “Quality” will also need to be specified.
3. Under “Project” click “Select” click on the project which is to be backed up then click “OK”.
4. Under “Backup / Restore” click on “Backup storyboard” and select the external destination e.g. desktop HDD No1 and click “OK”. In the drop down box, called “Please choose name”, enter a name for the story board to be backed up and click “OK”. A bar will indicate that the backup is taking place and when complete will say backup complete. Click “OK”.
Tip:- To save the original footage as well as the finished story board, before doing any editing, auto split the original, place all the splits in the story board and follow the backup process. Name this backup (Whatever Raw). When the (Whatever Raw) is restored it will be restored in the scene bin already split. If just saving the original as one file, when resorted, auto split will see this as one continuous scene and auto split will therefore not work and the scene will need manual splitting.
Restore a Storyboard.
1. From the main Bogart SE menu, click “Project” to enter the “project settings” menu.
2. Under “Project” – “Select”, click on an empty project. Click the project box and enter a name for the project.
3. Click on the “Format” button and enter the resolution, etc, required.
4. Click the “Restore storyboard” button and from the dropdown box called “Please choose name”, select the source from where the backup is stored, e.g. Seagate No1. – “OK”.
5. From the dropdown box choose the project to be restored. – “OK”.
6. A window will appear with a progress bar as the process continues. When complete a dropdown box will ask where to be inserted, e.g. the story board, scene bin or both, tick as appropriate and click “OK” ,“OK” and finally “OK” again, after the box says the restore succeeded.

Delete a Storyboard Backup
If a storyboard backup is no longer required, it can be removed from the external HDD as required.
1. From the main Bogart SE menu, click “Project” for the “Project settings” menu.
2. Under “Backup / restore” click “Remove” and if necessary select the external HDD required from the drop down box. – “OK”.
3. From the dropdown box select the backup to be deleted and click “OK”. The backup will now have been deleted from the external HDD.
Note:- To check what projects are stored on the external HDD, select either “Backup” or “Restore” story board, select the “Source” or “Destination”, “OK” and the appropriate drop down box will list the stored projects. Then “cancel”.
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

You are ARCHIVING and NOT BACKING UP.

Use HD BACK-UP or STORE N' SHARE.

Are you exporting to a FAT32 USB or configured to NTFS? That COULD limit your file size if FAT32.

I would check CHET'S site for in-depth information and a step by step tutorials on archiving and backing up solutions. It pays to join if you are not a member.

http://www.casablancaexpert.com/
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Lou is right.
The only way to get a true copy of projects is to use the HD-Backup Bogart program
or a Store'n'Share harddisk.
A restore of HD-Backup will bring back all originals of a project.
The storyboard, the scene bin and the audio menu.
Even when in "Finish" a film had been rendered for outputting to HDV-Tape the creation
is still there and could be used for a new export to tape.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

The back-up procedure I described above, is my version of part of the HD backup program. What I omitted to say is, you do need the Store ‘n’ Share program to do this.

However, I do agree, Chet’s Casablanca Expert site is well worth visiting / joining since he gives lots of guidance on this and many other subjects.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I was referring to the original question and not to Ian's excellent posting. Chris is archiving and not backing up. The true universal backups are found in Store n Share and HD Backup to an ext drive. The other procedures archive individual projects.