Dissolving Images in Smart Edit

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
roncamp
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro
Windows 8.1
Bogart 9.2 for Windows

Dissolving Images in Smart Edit

Post by roncamp »

I use my Solitaire for some very basic editing, and I want to try something I haven't done before. I have an old two-projector slide show that I want to re-create in video. I will have to scan all of the slides and create jpgs to load in. Most of the editing will be simple cross-fades. But there will be a couple of places where I will need Image 1 to be overlayed by Image 2 to create a combined image (in the slide show both projectors were projecting at the same time) that will stay on screen for several seconds and then fade to the next image. What technique would I use to accomplish this? I have access to the set of effects packages, I just don't have them activated.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Dissolving Images in Smart Edit

Post by BobFoster »

In the "transitions window the effect "double Exposure" could be used along with possibly "crossfade" to get into and out of the double exposure effect. Use the 100% MIX for each slide to show equally. Even using a really long crossfade may accomplish the desired effect.
roncamp
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro
Windows 8.1
Bogart 9.2 for Windows

Post by roncamp »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried various combinations of the effect settings and the best I could ever get was a regular crossfade from Image 1 to Image 2 without the double exposure effect. And I made sure the two images were the same duration. So I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Create the double image first by placing the two scenes side by side with the double image icon between them set for the full length of time that you
want the two to be shown together.....like 5 or 10 seconds. use this as a single scene in the storyboard......next create a SCENE of this double image.
This will lock the double image into one......so it won't come apart when you try to add cross fades later......then add the number one image in front
of the double image and then add the second image behind the double image in the storyboard......then add a slow crossfade between the first image
and the double and after the double and the 2nd image.

This will do exactly what you want. It will show the first image and slowly fade into a double image and hold on it for whatever time you selected, and
then fade into the second image. It's an easy thing to do but the trick is to build the double image first, then make sure you create a "SCENE" of the
double image......and then add the first and second images by them selves before and after the double scene. Don't try to do it with just a cross fade.
Last edited by jimmeeker on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Problem solved by a post from Jim Meeker :!:

Now that's something I haven't seen for a while :D

I was about to get a posse together :!: :D

Good to hear from you 8-)
Craig Newman
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello Craig,

Yes I have been away much too long. Since the MGT has been put on hold for a while and
I've been able to catch up on a few things, we are hoping to be more active on the forum
from here on out.

I'm finally figuring out how to work with Blu-Rays and HD on everything.....but keeping it all
straight in my head is getting harder to do as the years roll by. The world of politics and
finances has bottomed out for me, and that doesn't help with a very positive attitude, but
we are struggling onward.

I can feel the brain power draining away a little more each day...... but then I see a call for
help on the forum and just have to jump in and offer suggestions, where I can remember
the answers.

For the folks not familiar with the "March Get Together" it's for Casablanca users and here
are these fine folks who attended in 2012.

For those folks who don't know me.....I'm the old white haired guy in the first row with the red tie.

Good to hear from you my friend.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder