Audio Synch

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Audio Synch

Post by MikeMattke »

I was loading in VHS footage using a Panasonic AG-1970. I used the SVideo and RCA inputs on the front of my S2000.

One DVD with over 2 hours of footage turned out perfect. The second one the audio lost synch about 10 minutes into it. The lips were ahead of the sound. I did not manipulate the audio in any way and I checked in the Finish menu for any unrendered audio before going to Arabesk. Why did the audio not stay synched?

Is there something I need to do as I import it to assure it stays synched? very frustrating that one DVD burned out of the same project was fine.

AAARGH!
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Audio Synch

Post by CKNewman »

Hi Mike,

I always expect that when I feed analog signals into my editor there will be some audio drift. Therefore, when I load a VHS or S-VHS tape into my editor I run the signals from the playback deck (my Panasonic AG-1980) into a digital camcorder with firewire in/out and feed the signal to my editor via firewire. The camera transcodes the analog signals into digital and the video and audio stay in sync. Remember that firewire devices should be off when connecting and disconnecting the cables.

That is pretty strange that one DVD burned ok and the other was out of sych. I have no idea why that would happen.
Craig Newman
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Post by MikeMattke »

Thanks Craig. I will try that. I am currently downloading a scene via firewire to a digital camcorder and then back in again.
That was another suggestion but then it adds 3 times the amount of time to the project. If your solutions works for me I would only have to load the footage once. There must be some setting within the unit to compensate for the "drift" as you call it? There is an A/V Synchro adjustment for playback but I have no idea what or where the changes in those settings affect anything.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Hi Mike,

I took a look at the manual for your camcorder. On pages 82 and 83 it tells you how to use the camcorder to convert (transcode) analog signals from a VCR to digital (AV ->DV). It tells you what to do in the setup menu and also to take the tape out of the camcorder. It also states that in some cases it will not work. Did you try this yet?

My experience has been that the drift increases with the length of the program I am trying to transfer. Before I used the transcoding process I would import analog video in smaller chunks, like 20 minutes give or take, and I would not have a problem. YMMV
Craig Newman
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

Mike, did you ever solve this problem? If so, what were your findings?
Craig Newman