Hi-def monitor for Bogart editors

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Hi-def monitor for Bogart editors

Post by BobFoster »

Problem: Editing SD material on S-4000 Pro with OS 5.3 the video looks like VHS playback on a tube TV when connected to a high def monitor using HDMI.
When editing HD material on the same system the video looks fantastic. I rarely edit HD material so most of the time, I use S-video connection to a Sony hi-rez 850 line monitor originally over $2k. The image looks better than the same footage on the Hi-def monitor and can be better monitored for image quality. If I upgrade to a new unit I will be forced to using HDMI monitor since the new units do not have S-video out capability and I'm back to the same VHS composite looking display. What are you using to get good displays of SD materials when editing on a Bogart system or am I the only one still editing SD program material?
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Re: Hi-def monitor for Bogart editors

Post by Alan »

Hi,

I suspect that HD TV's that have S inputs have relatively poor quality circuitry. I Have the S4000pro and use a profesional monitor as I have never been quite satisfied using a HDTV. Its a Dell U2410 24 - inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor. I've had a look at some old SD material and its softer and noisier, but still quite a good picture. So Is some video I took with a Hi8 Sony camera. Hope this helps. What I suspect happens with the TV is that they contain picture enhancement circuitry that you may not be able to turn off, so that you never quite se what you are editung.

Cheers Alan.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I use a professional JVC monitor after learning my lesson using a HDTV. The colors are rarely true as is the contrast ratio. To add insult to injury, some of the newer HDTV's self-correct to room light. This is real bad for obvious reasons.
BobFoster
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Is that an HD monitor with HDMI input or a CRT with RGB and/or S-Video inputs Lou? If HD with HDMI, what model number? The HD reference models that I have seen at B&H cost more than the new editors. I'm not providing Broadcast programing. However the setup I have using HDMI monitoring with SD materials is embarrassing to show to customers.
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

A little research has uncovered HDMI to RGB converters that might permit the continued use of the Sony PVM 14M4U reference monitors with the newer S and Karat editors. I am going to purchase one of the converters and give it a try with my S 4000 Pro.
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

I recently purchased the LG 29EA93 ultra-wide 21:9 1080p professional LED monitor using the HDMI connector. It is amazing!

I simply activate the "16:9 as 21:9" in the project settings and it fills the wide screen perfectly...it looks really cool with the S-series editors....It lists for around $600.00...well worth it. Looks great in HD & SD with HDMI.

Joel Brooks
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Last edited by JBrooks on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Thanks for the input Joel. Are those SD projects also 16:9 images?
The HDMI converter that I ordered has HDMI input and HDMI pass thru with Composite,S-Video and RCA audio outs. It is a powered "active" converter rather than a passive cable split-out.
Bob F. GVP
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Yes Bob, the SD clips are 16:9. They look good as well.

Joel
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I use the v22L JVC. ProfessionalHD monitor.
garymcnally
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro, Studio, Touch, Travel 2, Sapphire, Ultra, TV Studio 2, Portable TV Studio, and Titanium TV Studio. Bogart 10 Windows Desktops - Laptop -Tablet - Karat - S-6000 - S4100- Dell XPS 8930 with Intel i7-9700 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, and 16Mb RAM. JVC GY-HD100U - JVC BR-HD50U - CANON HV20 - SONY AX33 4K

Post by garymcnally »

Is this the JVC model Lou:
http://salestores.com/jvcdtv20.html
This seems too good to be true for $427
THANKS!
Gary McNally
gary@macrosystem.us