Exporting Files

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Exporting Files

Post by Rte80west »

After a file is exported to a thumb drive then played on a device (say windows media player), why does it appear in a compressed 4:3 format? I did not see anything in teh settings menu when exported. Its 16:9 storyboard, DVD burns that way but for some reason exporting to a drive it comes out 4:3. Probably missing something obvious, but rather than struggle with this, figure it may be a quick fix if I inquire. Thanks so much in advance.
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: Exporting Files

Post by CasablancaExpert »

Lots of variables here given the skimpy bit of info you provided.

Was your export done via the Media Manager or via the OPT button in the Edit Menu?
Which/what setting did you select in the Export menu for the file?
Providing this info will help formulate a solution for you to try.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Hi Chet

Thanks for the reply.

The export was done via the OPT button. I am not in front of my unit right now so I can't recall all the options - but I know I tried AVI and then RenderBooster MP4. I may be missing some other relevant info - when I am at the unit later I can perhaps provide more detail. Thank you again.
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

OK- Here is exactly what I did.

1) Scene clip made in project w/ Format= HD 1440x1080i
2) EDIT - OPT
3) I then acessed OPT in the sub menu. Under Modus: tried AVI, MP4Renderbooster. Tried Quality from LOW to HIGH. I then chose Exporting scene and sent it out to a thumb drive. Each and every combo resulted in an output in 4:3 format when played back via windows media player.

I did not select Choose reference frame, Set group name, Group selection etc
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Just tried something else - Using SPECIAL-->CineConverter (4:3-->16:9), created a scene clip and then exported THAT to a thumb drive. Now it plays in 16:9 on media player BUT has black borders alongside all four sides (so overall picture is smaller). If what I see on Storyboard burns to a DVD or BluRay as is, why would it not be same when sending to a thumb drive? Hopefully I'm missing something obvious.
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

My guess is that exporting 1920x1080 is no problem. I suspect that 1440x1920 will come out at 4x3 because the export function does not know that the pixels for 1440 are not square as the are for 1920. The only differerence between 4x3 and 16x9 in tape based HD video is the pixel ratio. I think there is signal embeded in the video stream that indicaters the ratio. If this is not included in the export file it will assume a 1x1 ratio and deliver a narrow picture.

Alan
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Alan,

Thanks for the input. I think that's great insight and quite possibly the issue. I wonder if I can clipboard the scene to a new project w/ 1920x1080 and then try the process again? Or would the work need to be CREATED in the 1920x1080 environment first? At any rate, thank you for the insight into this.
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

I edit many/most of my HD projects in the Bogart OS in the 1440 project setting and export SD videos in 16:9 with no problem; _but_ have had less success using the OPT button. I have trusted colleagues using and liking this function but I much prefer exporting via the Archives button over to Media Manager and then exporting the file from the Video Archives.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com