Realtime Record from computer to casablanca systems

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Sidsniffles
Casablanca Unit: 2EA. Avio DVDs w/2TB HDD's, (SATA)
1EA. Prestige w/750gb HDD (ATA/IDE)

Realtime Record from computer to casablanca systems

Post by Sidsniffles »

If you have an older system(s), and always wanted to record something from your computer screen, to your casablanca...here's a way to do this, (in realtime!).,
I personally use the "iMicro"...(VGA to S-video converter), and use the VGA output on my computer, (check listings on ebay, etc, for an "AVerKey iMicro)
or a (DVI to VGA) adapter on a newer computer, to the iMicro, then from the iMicro, to the casablanca S-Video input.,
(audio from the computer can also be recorded to the casablanca), either from the computer's headphone output,
or if you have a VGA cable, that has the 3.5mm stereo plug included, you could possibly use it for audio also,
(with a 3.5mm stereo plug, to stereo RCA plug adapter), going into the casablanca system.
You'll spend a few minutes adjusting the sharpness/overscan, and "centering" the image on your older, "S-video" equipped TV monitor,
(connected to your casablanca). This has worked "nicely" for me, and also saved me lots of money, (over buying newer systems).,
Yes...P2, AVCHD, systems i have...but when i've had to get dvd projects done, in a flash...my "Cassie" is still...a real workhorse!
When people ask you...how'd you do that...let it be, "our little secret!" :D
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Realtime Record from computer to casablanca systems

Post by BobFoster »

Good suggestion. It would also work well for those editors wanting to transfer a Power Point presentation to their Cassies. Just load the PPT on the PC and transfer. On location I use a Roland V8 video switcher with built-in VGA converter to record Power Points live from presenters directly to my Karat. The V8 also permits using PIP to super the presenter into the power point live. A VGA splitter sends the signal to the house projector/s at the same time.
Sidsniffles

Post by Sidsniffles »

SWEET! [Rubbing my hands together...with a, "Sneaky" Grin on my face!]
What do "YOU" envision? send me your questions/suggestions, (let's make it happen!) ~ sidsniffles
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I can see from your profile that you have found a way to use the newer SATA hard drives with Generation 2 Casablanca editors. Could you share with us what you used and the steps you took? Did the adapter work seamlessly with the Casablancas? How much space can the Cassie use on these SATA drives?
Craig Newman
Sidsniffles

Post by Sidsniffles »

Hello Craig,
Please read my: "Hard Drive Upgrades & Smart Edit Software", posts again.,
Amazon should still have these adapters for sale, if not...Google: SATA to ATA-IDE adapters.
The only drawback i found, was finding out there isn't enough space, (clearance) inside the "Prestige" HD tray,
for the SATA to ATA-IDE adapter to fit, other than that...installing the SATA HD's, and reinstalling the OS,
and SW in the Avio's, was a fairly straight forward process. With some, "Tech-Know", (combined with, "Trial and error"),
You should come up with a nicely, "upgraded" system(s). Good Luck! ~ sidsniffles
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

I've been doing something similar with my HDMI out on my PC for years. Using an HDMI converter to S-Video. Sometimes I have problems with the audio coming out of the converter but switching to the headphones out solves that problem. Quality wise the results are acceptable, particularly in SD for obvious reasons.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705