Help? Did I just step in it?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Help? Did I just step in it?

Post by stonepatterson »

Hate to sound stupid.

But I bought a little Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790v this week, (I'm not rich so I had to save for quite a while). It records 60p @ 28 Mbps. Trying to get the best image possible. Will I have any problem converting that footage into my S6000? I see the S6000 only offers 1920 X 1080 30P in edit... Am I missing something? Should I shoot at 60i? Is there way to convert that to 30P? I needed a small pocket camera that can deliver the best image possible... did I buy with out being able to edit on my S6000? The camera does not do 30P...

Been using SD DVcam for so long on the S6000... never thought I would have a problem with a new camera!

AVCHD Progressive
1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (28Mbps)
1920 x 1080i / 60 fps (24Mbps)
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Help? Did I just step in it?

Post by CKNewman »

I would suggest you go to the Cassie Tips list and post your question there.
Craig Newman
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

. . . or record something and see what the S6000 does - I think in this case it will just 'covert' it to 30p (that's what it does with my PAL 50i footage - just makes it 25i).
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

The OS does not handle 60p as of yet. It is converted to 30p- believe it or not. You can use the interlace camera setting and if needed, use the MOVIE MODE to deinterlace to 30p. Chet has a video tip of the week on his Cassie web page and is very informative.
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

Thanks to all that responded. FYI. I shot for the edit blind @ 60i. I used all the manual settings on camera with the hope that all would convert to the S6000 30 P setting... final footage looks beautiful! I used a lot of small spotlights for dark area(s) within deep shadow, backdrops and relied on the zebra -- was amazed at the finished image on screen. Next will see what the camera's higher quality 60P (28 Mbps) looks like when converted to 30P on the S6000...

Was amazed at the detail of the black fabric within the costuming (and shadows), the detail in the intricate backgrounds of the sets. HD does show off the flaws with in the features of the cast. AND we did extensive make-up for the production... Sorry I cannot show footage at this time. It is 'undercover' until it is used at the end of the month for the Great Lakes Fright Fest.

Thanks again to all who responded!
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

As Lou suggested the Bogart OS Casablanca units we use now are not compatible with 60P directly.

In fact I do not believe we can de-interlace from 60P to 30P, rather we can de-interlace from 60i to 30P.
I recommend shooting only in 30P or 60i (and then de-interlace if you shoot 60i and are uploading to internet or displaying on computer display).

As you are likely aware that camcorder (and most contemporary cameras) will shoot 30P and 60i (as well as 60P and 24P which are not presently, fully compatible with our Casablanca systems).

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Then 60i... it is. Was going to try 60P and try to convert this week, now that project #1 is out the door and I have a few days to experiment with camcorder.

Needed a 'small' camcorder for summer work. Watched footage on 73" HD and (2) HD monitors. Really nice. BIG shoot in 2 weeks. Expect to have 20 hours of footage, interviews and peoplescapes in a 5 day fest. Thankful I have help with releases... and electric for lights and batteries!

Guess my next big buy (after the small camera work pays off) will be the PMW 300 that shoots @ 50Mbps at 30P (and many other P & i settings)... for Autumn work. Have to say that the footage shot with the little Sony (CES camera winner 2013) really delivers an amazing picture and decent audio. One SHOULD tweak manually (limited) and use lights with better XLR audio mics (for interviews). Best 1295.00 I ever spent (plus another 260.00 for quick charger, batteries and fast cards)!

Thanks to those that responded.
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

Just be aware that the Sony PMW 300 records audio in LPCM only and as far as I can tell you will only get double left audio (left track = left audio right track = left audio) with Bogart v5 or v6.

Although this doesn't appear to be the case with all LPCM audio (some LPCM cameras appears to work) you might want to try it first.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Or NO sound at all. For instance the LPCM in the NX line will not import audio. Yet, My NIKON HDSLR, using the LPCM mode, will import.

MichaelD wrote:Just be aware that the Sony PMW 300 records audio in LPCM only and as far as I can tell you will only get double left audio (left track = left audio right track = left audio) with Bogart v5 or v6.

Although this doesn't appear to be the case with all LPCM audio (some LPCM cameras appears to work) you might want to try it first.