Choosing a laptop/notebook for Bogart Windows.

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
AllenMcLaughlin
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S4100 Bogart v7.0, Cameras: Sony Z5E (HDV)and Sony NX-3 (AVCHD)

Choosing a laptop/notebook for Bogart Windows.

Post by AllenMcLaughlin »

Having managed to teach my girlfriend the vagaries of Casablanca editing on my S4100, she'd now like to purchase a laptop/Bogart Gold Win8 combo to go forth and edit with. I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a product, a Windows 8 laptop/notebook style in the 15-17" screen size range and somewhere around the £500-£800 GBP price range ($800-$1300 USD approx.) I'm afraid that kind of thing isn't really my forte...
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Choosing a laptop/notebook for Bogart Windows.

Post by LouBruno »

Go with a Sony Vaio. 17" screen. Powerful and will do the trick. So, I am told. :)
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Post by Charles »

On the UK group there are a number of users most advise Windows 7
Regards
Charles
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Window 7 because of the included codec package which Windows 8 offers as a seperate purchase for anyone who does video editing in any application. Not Bogart related. So I am told.
AllenMcLaughlin
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S4100 Bogart v7.0, Cameras: Sony Z5E (HDV)and Sony NX-3 (AVCHD)

Thanks for the input chaps, she's got a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop nice new and fast Lenovo model with plenty speed and memory. Obviously the codec issue needs addressing as she keeps getting a message from Windows about not finding the right codec and the playback is therefore low resolution. Does anyone know specifically which codec pack to look for ?
AllenMcLaughlin

Charles wrote:On the UK group there are a number of users most advise Windows 7
Try as I might, I can't get the UK group messages to load up. Just getting the screen header, and yes I'm logged in to Yahoo Groups.
Charles

Post by Charles »

AllenMcLaughlin wrote:
Try as I might, I can't get the UK group messages to load up. Just getting the screen header, and yes I'm logged in to Yahoo Groups.[/quote]

Could be down to Yahoo changes i can still receive posts but can't log in to the group as account expired say Yahoo and they just want to much personal info which i'm not happy giving to rejoin try e-mailing Michael at Dalco he should be able to give you the info
Regards
Charles
AllenMcLaughlin

Charles wrote:
AllenMcLaughlin wrote:
Try as I might, I can't get the UK group messages to load up. Just getting the screen header, and yes I'm logged in to Yahoo Groups.
Could be down to Yahoo changes i can still receive posts but can't log in to the group as account expired say Yahoo and they just want to much personal info which i'm not happy giving to rejoin try e-mailing Michael at Dalco he should be able to give you the info[/quote]

Thanks Charles (long time no speak) yeas it must be something like that. As for the codec issue, I'll try Mike in the morning.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Allen
Yes long time no speak would have loved your B.A. video's for the F.F. are you still doing the music videos? and are you off to Brazil for the football ?
Regards
Charles
AllenMcLaughlin

Charles wrote:Hi Allen
Yes long time no speak would have loved your B.A. video's for the F.F. are you still doing the music videos? and are you off to Brazil for the football ?
Hi Charles, yes I've kind of fallen out of touch with the film fest and the UK group generally, been a busy bee the last few years. How many years ago was it I sent that S-VHS tape around the group collecting clips for the very first 'film fest' ? Must be a good ten or twelve years now ?

At the moment I'm making a doc about a karate club, been to Slovakia to film the Scottish rock group Biffy Clyro with a pair of Canon C300's. I'll post a link to that too. No World Cup for me so next up is The Commonwealth Games on the BBC where I still have the day job. Once that's done, just the small matter of producing/directing/editing another rock video for another Glasgow rock band. Phew, it's all go innit ?