Export File Type Options

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Export File Type Options

Post by Rte80west »

There are a ton of export options. If one wanted to save a video stream in the best possible quality, what should be used? Source footage is 1440x1080. I have heard folks say HD H264 is best but isnt that format 1280 x 720? I have also heard YouTube 1920 x 1080 Full HD is good. But compression rate is vastly different from PC Files 1920 x1080. Maybe its just me, but I find this so confusing. I just want to preserve a video stream on flash memory and want to use the highest quality format.
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Re: Export File Type Options

Post by IanPearson »

I back up all my raw data and finished projects to an expansion drive, using the Bogart back-up process. Below is part of my back-up process notes, which will give you what you require. I’m sorry they are a little long, but it is easier to include the whole section, rather than pick out the bits you need.

Hope this is what you require.
Ian

2. Backup and Restore Story Board
The storyboard of a project, including effects and added audio can be copied to an external HDD and later returned to the Internal HDD. An HD project can also be saved in a format common to other editing systems (Mode - MTS), which is an H264 file, so not included in this Cassie backup procedure.
HD project “Mode” HDV or SD project “Mode” DV:- the system will render the storyboard , melding transitions, inserts, added audio, etc. which will all be recovered when restored to the Cassie. Therefore further editing may be limited.
SD project “Mode” DV Backup:- There is no rendering, so added audio, some effects and inserts will not be recovered, however this does enable full storyboard re-editing.
Therefore mode selection will depend upon what is required following a restore.

Backup

1. From the main menu, click “Project” to enter the “Project Settings” menu.
2. “Select” the project which is to be backed up, click “OK”.
3. Select “Mode” HDV for an HD project, DV or DV Backup for an SD project.
4. For an SD project also set the “Quality” required, e.g. High
5. Click “Backup storyboard” and select the external destination e.g. Desktop HDD No1 and click “OK”. In the drop down box, “Please choose name”, enter a name for the story board to be backed up and click “OK”. A bar will indicate that the backup is taking place and announce when the backup is complete.

Tip:- To save the original footage, before doing any editing, auto split the original, place all the splits in the story board and follow the backup process. Name this backup (Whatever Raw). When restored, it will already be split ready for editing. Saving the original as one file, when restored, auto split will see this as one continuous scene and the scene will therefore require manual splitting.

Restore a Storyboard.
1. From the main menu, click “Project” to enter the “project settings” menu.
2. Under “Project” – “Select”, click on an empty project. Click the project box and enter a name for the project.
3. Click on the “Format” button and enter the resolution, etc., required.
4. Click the “Restore storyboard” button and from the dropdown box called “Please choose name”, select the source from where the backup is stored, e.g. Seagate No1. – “OK”.
5. From the dropdown box choose the project to be restored. – “OK”.
6. A window will appear with a progress bar as the process continues. When complete a dropdown box will ask where to be inserted, tick as appropriate.
Delete a Storyboard Backup
If a storyboard backup is no longer required, it can be removed from the external HDD as required.
1. From the main Bogart SE menu, click “Project” for the “Project settings” menu.
2. Under “Backup / restore” click “Remove” and if necessary select the external HDD required from the drop down box. – “OK”.
3. From the dropdown box select the backup to be deleted and click “OK”. The backup will now have been deleted from the external HDD.
Note:- To check what projects are stored on the external HDD, select either “Backup” or “Restore” story board, select the “Source” or “Destination”, “OK” and the appropriate drop down box will list the stored projects. Then “cancel”.
3. Backup AV Data (requires Bogart V6 with Gold Edition)
With Bogart V6 there is also an option to save the story board, scene bin material and audio samples to an external USB device. The Cassie files are exported uncompressed and therefore no rendering is required before export. This is an important time saver, since HD material in the standard Backup needs to be rendered first, taking about 6 hours for 1 hour of footage.
Notes:-
• Since these files are uncompressed data, they use about 2 to 3 times more hard drive space than the section 2 standard backup system.
• There is no rendering, so transfer is 3to4 times faster than real storyboard time.
• Exporting the storyboard does not include transitions, effects, titles and added audio.
• Scenes in the scene bin that have been generated from the storyboard “Make a scene” function, will retain all transitions, added audio, etc., since these are embedded during the scene making process.
Save AV Data
1. Select the project to be saved. In the “Project Settings” screen, click “Save AV Data”.
2. In the drop box, check mark what is to be saved, e.g. story board –“OK”
3. With a USB device connected, select the device e.g. Seagate expansion drive” – “OK”
4. Enter a name for the project in the lower box and click “OK” – “OK”.
5. A bar in the Save AV Data box shows the progress, click “OK” when complete.
Restore AV Data
1. Plug in a USB drive containing the project to be restored.
2. Open a new project and in the “Project Settings” screen enter the name of the project.
3. From this screen, select “Read AV Data”.
4. Select the source device, e.g. Seagate Expansion Drive – “OK”.
5. Choose the project to be recovered – “OK”..
6. A box shows what has been saved, check mark those required to be restored - “OK”.
7. When the progress bar is complete – “OK”.
Tips:- This quick transfer method is ideal for storing unedited material. Other uses include loading raw material onto a Bogart for Windows (Gold) laptop, splitting, trimming, building the storyboard, etc., before transferring the story board back to an S Range unit. This enables the laborious routine work to be done remotely or on the move, before completing the edit by adding titles, transitions, audio, etc. It frees up the S range unit for the more intensive work.
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Post by Rte80west »

I will review. Thank you for sharing!
DarrelCharest
Casablanca Unit: Karat
Bogart 5.5c
Arabesk 6.0a
Most software
Dual edit bay w/Sony 22 HD VGA & Samsung 26 HD Video

Post by DarrelCharest »

Thanks Ian for taking the time and effort to post this information.

Over the years your contributions to the forum have been helpful to me.

Darrel Charest
Action Video

Where the inspiritation for "American the Beautiful" was born.
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Thanks Darrel, your comments are much appreciated.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England