external hd

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
bobhoffberg
Casablanca Unit: avio

external hd

Post by bobhoffberg »

What would be the best external hd for my avio with upgrade? How would I hook it up? Thanks for any reply.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: external hd

Post by CKNewman »

Would you update your profile to show what operating system and software you are running? What do you want to use the external hard drive for?
Craig Newman
bobhoffberg

Post by bobhoffberg »

avio 3.2. Took footage of my grand-daughters wedding. Before editing I would like to load the footage on external drive. Thanks for helping me.
bobhoffberg

Post by bobhoffberg »

bobhoffberg wrote:avio 3.2. Took footage of my grand-daughters wedding. Before editing I would like to load the footage on external drive. Thanks for helping me.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I assume you want to archive material on a HDDfor archiving as the AVIO does not have the capability of importing via USB if my memory serves me correct?

If you used a card for original capture you must use your PC and simply copy the files from the card to an external drive for archiving only. If you get B4W then you can import the original files directly from the ext. Drive.
bobhoffberg

Post by bobhoffberg »

LouBruno wrote:I assume you want to archive material on a HDDfor archiving as the AVIO does not have the capability of importing via USB if my memory serves me correct?

If you used a card for original capture you must use your PC and simply copy the files from the card to an external drive for archiving only. If you get B4W then you can import the original files directly from the ext. Drive.
LouBruno wrote:I assume you want to archive material on a HDDfor archiving as the AVIO does not have the capability of importing via USB if my memory serves me correct?

Thanks for the reply Lou. My avio was upgraded with 2 usb ports when it was sent back. Are you still up in Huntington and have the 3 camcorders you used to use?
If yes, I may want to buy one. It will match my original equipment. I'm and old guy with hold stuff. Back to my request, What kind of ext. hd to use and
how to hook it up? Thanks again. (what does B4W mean?)
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

As far as my memory serves me, the USB ports on an AVIO will only read photo transfer and not recognize an external HD. I have a WD Elements-1TB and qa Seagate 1TB.....ext. HD flash. And 5 LaCie Drives from MSUS.

I have a HFS-30 CANON camera for sale. Hardly used........2 SD slots and a 32Gb internal flash drive,

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-S30-Camcord ... B004HW7E0Q
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Bob, what do you want to use an external hard drive for?

The Avio is an older design that will not allow you to connect the type of external hard drive being sold today. There is a version of Casablanca editing software that will run on a PC that is close to being released. Generation 2 Casablanca editors use the Smart Edit operating system and were called Smart Edit machines. More recent Casablanca editors (Generation 3) use a newer operating system called "Bogart" and are known as Bogart machines. Bogart was written to work with the newer camcorders.

The newer camcorders all use cards; the user imports the footage from the cards to the editor. You will not be able to use the Avio's USB ports to import video from a newer card based camera. Nor will you be able to use the Avio's USB ports connect external hard drives. Also, the newer cameras are all high definition - and the Avio isn't fast enough to edit high definition video.

The abbreviation Lou used, B4W, stands for Bogart for Windows. This new software will run on your PC.....if your PC is fast enough. The newer cameras don't have s-video or firewire interfaces. They offer USB and the cards themselves to import video. They may have a composite interface, but that's much lower resolution than video directly from the cards. You might want to spend a bit of time figuring out how you'll deal with integrating newer camcorders with your older gear. Let us know what you come up with.
Craig Newman