Lacie HD maintenance

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Lacie HD maintenance

Post by JPaul »

I've been using my Lacie 500 gb Firewire/USB HD to backup my video for the Kron+. So far, it's worked very well. Now I'm wondering if I should use my PC to defrag and or reformat the Lacie to keep it from slowing down or possibly crashing. If I derag, I will not lose my files. If I reformat, I will have to dump the meaningful files somewhere temporarily. Also, I believe the Lacie must be in FAT32 but I'm having trouble verifying this. Any thoughts?
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Re: Lacie HD maintenance

Post by MichaelD »

I'm not sure if you can De Frag an external drive as 'normally' the PC has to keep track of what files are what and where on the internal drive(s) and with an external one it can't - maybe someone else can help with that.

However the format, if you wipe it clean, would be FAT32.
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

Actually, you can defrag any external drive including cards, but my PC reported that it wasn't necessary. I also opted not to reformat. You have to balance "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" with "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
zeketorres
Casablanca Unit: Prestige Plus

Post by zeketorres »

Do you happen to know what the model number is of your Lacie 500 gigabyte firewire drive is? I dropped mine last night and there is no model number anywhere on the exterior. I probably will have to open it. I use if for backup to my Prestige editors.
Thanks.
Zeke Torres
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

If you purchased the model that was recommended for Casablanca editors I believe it would be a Lacie D2 Quadra. I have one but can't use it until I get another power supply.
Craig Newman
zeketorres
Casablanca Unit: Prestige Plus

Post by zeketorres »

Thank you Craig.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Defraging is a Windows PC maintenance issue mostly on older PC's. Mac OSX and Casablanca Linux systems would only need defraging on rare and very exceptional situations. (Read: no defraging required.) You can Google for details.
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

While we are on the subject of Lacie hard drives, I just bought one from Best Buy. I know, I know, I should have bought one from Gary McNally it would have been all set up, I wouldn't have to ask these questions.
When I want to use it for Bogart for Windows, do I have to format the drive? I read somewhere it has to be format, FAT 32, really?
I am new to B4W, also just bought a HP laptop with Windows 8.1, and I have a lot of questions. Was wondering, how many people are using B4W? Are they very successful using it, do they like it better that then using a stand alone unit? There aren't a lot of people asking questions on the B4W site, so they must be pretty profficient (I guess that's how you spell it) using it.