HDV footage on new Karat not looking good.

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

HDV footage on new Karat not looking good.

Post by Christopher6206 »

I just bought a new Karat and am importing HDV footage via fire wire from my Cannon XHA1-s, The footage is shot at 1920 x 1080i and the settings for the project are as such. When I've imported the same way with my S-4000 pro it always looks really good. But this time the picture looks somewhat pixelated. This is a soccer game, well 4 soccer games and they all look the same. If the shot is still and the players are standing still it looks fine but as soon as they start running and the camera starts to move they look pixelated, even blurry. The feild itself looks this way too when the camera is panning particularly if it is a fast pan. Movement looks clean as in there is no jitter or stutter to the footage but clearly there is something wrong. And this footage was used a year ago with the S-4000 Pro and it made a great looking Blu Ray disc. The only difference is with the S-4000 pro, it is hooked up to the monitor via a DVI out converted to HDMI and then straight to the monitor. The Karat is hooked up via HDMI directly. Is this just a raw footage thing? Where I can make all my edits and render it, create the disc and or data file and all will look fine? Or is there something I am missing? Shouldn't this footage look just as good as the S-4000 pro does after importing? If I am just playing the footage and not recording it it still looks the same. Any suggestions?
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Re: HDV footage on new Karat not looking good.

Post by IanPearson »

Hi Chris
I do not know why your S4000 and Karat are reacting differently, but if you are importing via Firewire, you are not importing HD. Firewire is SD only. Therefore importing to a 1920 x 1080i project via Firewire does not make sense.

If you are shooting in 1920 x 1080i then yes import to a project set up in the same format, but for HD it will need to be a USB input.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Actually it can be HDV as well. I have two decks and they are tape. The file size would be 1440 for HDV. I use FireWire.
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Chris,

I have experienced this while using both a Karat and an S-6000......I found that since HDV is Interlaced, it looks horrible on a Progressive monitor.....That's another reason I have not shot in Interlaced mode in several years.....everything I shoot and edit (unless it's for a local TV station) is 1920 X 1080-30p........all looks great then.

Joel Brooks-MIT Video
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

So from my bad looking footage I created a .avi file, and a .mp4 at 1920 by 1080 and they both look fine. I had to use the youtube file format offered in media manager (I can never get PC DIrect MP4 to work in HD) for the .mp4. But both look fine. I also created a Blu Ray disc and it looks good too. When I press display on the Blu Ray player while playing the disc, it says it's playing 1920x1080p. So I don't know where the conversion is happening. I've read that TVs can de interlace Blu Ray discs on the fly and that the player can do the same thing. Or maybe Arabesk de interlaced it when creating the disc. I don't know. Does anyone else?

I still don't get why footage looks good with S-4000 pro but not on the Karat.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

I use the PC direct .MP4 in media manager without issue....Make sure before you archive the footage into media manager, the MPEG Convert is NOT selected on....leave it unchecked. You will get maximum quality that way. It should export from any of media manager's codecs then.

Joel Brooks-MIT Video
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347