Transfer of Footage to HDD- use miniDV tape or DVD as Source

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Transfer of Footage to HDD- use miniDV tape or DVD as Source

Post by Rte80west »

Hi all
I am going through a VERY CONSUMING process of saving all of home movies accummulated over the years to hard disk. All of this footage has been edited with various Cassie equip over the years. It is all archived currently on DVD and/or Blu Ray AND miniDV tape. My question is this: to archive footage which source should I use: the DVD/Blu Ray discs or the miniDV tape?

The miniDV tape is preferred in terms of lossless quality but it is more time consuming to load and there are occassional drop outs which is annoying. Dvd and/or Blu Ray DVD is easier to load, I have already checked it for quality whenoriginally created over the years so likely no drop outs (unless they degraded but I think thats less likely - hopefully!) BUT is the QUALITY of the footage that much worse? Thats the million dollar question I think.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Transfer of Footage to HDD- use miniDV tape or DVD as So

Post by Christopher6206 »

I would think that if you are only interested in archiving the footage then backing up your discs and Dv tapes should be fine. If however you think you'd like to edit that footage in the future, then you should go with the lossless copies. Editing from Mpeg 2 DVD footage results in pixelated footage on the finished product because it's compressed twice. Anything on DV tape will be lossless, no compression. But will take up a ton of space in your archives.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I agree with Chris that the original tapes will yield a superior quality. I would add that hard drives are getting bigger and cheaper all the time, so why not go with the tapes?
Craig Newman
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I would add that with the constantly increasing speed of computers and the constantly increasing sophistication of software, there will come a time when algorithms will have the ability to intelligently restore and improve the quality of original video. The better the quality of the video you have to work with, the better the result will be.
Craig Newman