Does anyone use this camera? Sony HXR-NX30U

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Does anyone use this camera? Sony HXR-NX30U

Post by flvideo »

If so I'd like to hear how you like it and Pro's and Con's!
hlg1953
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus&Solitare

Re: Does anyone use this camera? Sony HXR-NX30U

Post by hlg1953 »

Hello,
I have the NX30u and liked it a lot.The internal hard drive works great with my s6000.You can also used sd cards if you do not trust the hard drive. I have not lost any
video using the internal drive.
Quality of my footage looks awesome.I use auto settings most of time if lighting isn't funky.
I use a mono pod and the video is very stable when you use the the steady shot function. Leave it on active when your portable.It's very steady like a stedicam.
Shut it off when on a tripod.
Low light is very good. Great for weddings,special events.With the mono pod, I get great high level shots at these events!
Overall, I just like this camera for what I need it for(business profile videos,special events).
Very small looking camera ,very good results.
The big sister nx70 is also great little camera,but the stabilization isn't as good
The stabilization on the Nx30 is probably its biggest feature. If you shoot portable hand held, this camera rocks.
Good luck if you decide to get one, you will be amazed with what it produces for video.
HGoldstein
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks for your reply. I am editing with a Renommee now and have been for several years. Its been a good machine, had very little trouble with it. I bought th Bogart for windows a few months ago not knowing it didn't do SD well. Hence the reason I need to go to HD. I have seen some really good reviews on the NX30 especially the stabilization. I do Stock car racing mostly 0ff my shoulder. I have never used a tripod because it bothers my back. I use a Tripod doing Interviews and shooting in the studio!
1 question I have that I haven't seen is can you control the Audio level on each channel individually. I do interviews in a noisy pit and I shut 1 channel down a lot and control the level with the Voice. https://youtu.be/8uxHG8kYIbs This is my weekly TV show I do. Its a lot of fun!
hlg1953
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus&Solitare

Post by hlg1953 »

You can control the audio separately manual or auto for both ch. 1 or ch.2 xlr audio connections
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

All of those are good pros for the camera. I will give you a few cons. One big one, you cannot output through the HDMI while recording, (at least in HD that I know of) I figured this out the hard way at one of my shoots. All ready to go, HDMI out to my field monitor. Shot is looking good. I press record, and the image on my field monitor disappears. I later read the fine print in the manual and realize I wasn't doing anything wrong, that's just the way it is set up. You can out put through the RCA plug though. You also cannot output the time and date to be visible on the screen to an external DVD player or otherwise. If you need to do that, it has to be done after you've made the recording. There is no input for a remote control that's connected to a tripod for zooming and starting and stopping recording. If you're using a tripod mount it will likely be in the way when you need to switch out your battery. Forcing you to take it off before you can get the battery off. Not ideal when you need to do a quick change of power and an event is going on. The manual iris and (I think) shutter speed control knob broke off after about a month. All other manual over rides are with the touch screen and it is clunky. Sometimes having to press and hold on it several times before it recognizes it's being touched.

All that said, it does produce a great image and it's stabilization system is top notch. You can actually see the lens floating around inside the camera body if you look at it. The lens is nice and wide. I put an even wider lens on it as well and it looks great. It works very well with my Cassie machines. I do think it offers a few too many formats to shoot in, making it more confusing. Why not just offer the best ones and leave it at that? It offers 60i, 60p, 30p and a host of SD formats. All with differing bit rates. I have never shot in 60p since there is no setting for 60p with the Karat. But I do think it will work. Whether or not once imported your footage stays in 60p is another question.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks for replying Chris. I don't think I will need the HDMI out at the race track any time soon. Thats just for streaming isn't it? I will most likely use auto settings mostly because things change so much at a race track I don't think I could keep up with it. I have been using Sony camera's for a long time and their auto settings are usually spot on. The only thing I am really concerned with is the auto Focus being fast enough. Its been so long since I have used follow focus I'd have to learn agin! Do you use the 96 GB internal Hard drive? I plane to unless something changes my mind.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

I use the 96GB hard drive and the cards. Both work great.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705