AVCHD Format?

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
chucke
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus with Smart Edit 7.0 & 8.0 and most all software on all drives

AVCHD Format?

Post by chucke »

I have a client that has given me two CD-Rs with AVCHD files on them. He would like to have a DVD made.

I have no way of producing the DVD so I'm looking for someone who can and at what price. If you are interested contact me at chucke@boonslick.org with a price.

Thanks Chuck
Chuck Eichmeyer
Marthasville MO
vpone@centurytel.net

Renommee Plus w/Smart Edit 7.0 & 8.0
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: AVCHD Format?

Post by CasablancaExpert »

Hello Chuck,

Anyone with a Bogart OS Casablanca editor can import AVCHD files into their editor. They would need the/a high-speed card reader (and your card/s of course with the footage/files).

What did your client specifically wish to have done with the footage -- straight dub to DVD or ? And then are they looking to output to Standard Def DVD?

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
chucke
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus with Smart Edit 7.0 & 8.0 and most all software on all drives

Post by chucke »

Chet,

He is looking for a standard DVD so he dosn't have to use the camera to watch his video. He did not give me his cards he gave me two CD-R's. I'm new to the AVCHD format so your talking to a greenhorn but it sounds like I need the actual cards and not the CD-R's that he gave me. I don't know how he burned the AVCHD files from his cards to the CD-R's, even if that is possible. Any help with how the process should work I'm ready to listen. I'll have to check if he would even let me have the cards to send out to get transfered.

Thanks Chuck
Chuck Eichmeyer
Marthasville MO
vpone@centurytel.net

CasablancaExpert

Chuck,

Is it possible/likely that those AVCHD files can be imported into the Bogart editors via the Media Manager from the CD. I have not yet tried that -- but I love solving mysteries! I have some AVCHD files on an SD card and will burn out to CD and then give it a go.

If you haven't already done so, put your CD into a computer, click on Get info or properties and check the file format. I am curious if it is still AVCHD or if your client converted them to a different format. I will let you know the outcome of my little experiment.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
CasablancaExpert

Ah - mystery solved! (well, not really a mystery, more of a question -- but mystery sounds so much more....um, mysterious :D )

I was able to download two AVCHD files from high speed SD Card via high speed SD Card Reader into my Mac, burn onto CD (took 2 attempts -- lots of companies including Apple, etc. are having 'fun' with these new AVCHD files). Then I successfully imported these files into my S4000PRO via the Media Manager and then into an HD project via the Archives menu. Playback is clear, with audio.

By the way Chuck, on your computer they may show up as .MTS files (not AVCHD) and it is possible that the computer's video player will not play them back.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Post by Volker »

Hey Chet,
you can import the AVCHD files from the CD in the Video Record Menu in Bogart.
You don't have to use the detour via Media Manager.

Most AVCHD formats should be recognised. Import is much easier that way.

Just start an HD project and go to the video record screen.
There you will find an USB button. This will bring up an AVCHD import menu.
Here you can import via card reader or directly via CD / DVD / Blu-ray.

You even can re-import the Blu-rays that you have created with Arabesk in that menu. No need for the Media Manager this time :-)

Volker
Volker Hill - Germany
CasablancaExpert

Oh - thanks Volker! That is cool, glad to have learned something new today as well. Just tried that and it does save some _significant_ time in the work-flow.

Thanks!
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
chucke

Post by chucke »

Chet,

Took your advice and put the cd in my pc at work. Clicked on properties and under file type it showed CDFS Files. I clicked on real player and the 20 video files started to play. I called my client back and told him the good news. He then asked how to convert these files to .mov files so he could watch them on his computer. He has a mac. Greenhorn again...I'm guessing free converting software on the internet? If so any suggestions that work the best.

No charge on the learning something new class today :lol:

Thanks Chuck 8-)
Chuck Eichmeyer
Marthasville MO
vpone@centurytel.net

CasablancaExpert

That's good Chuck -- the CDfs is apparently just nomenclature for Compact Disk file system. As far as conversion - I have not yet had the need for this (as I can do this with my S4000). I use Any Video Converter (freeware) that is a great application but it appears they do not yet support AVCHD. A quick Google search brought up several alternatives but I do not have personal experience with any of these -- perhaps other on the forum can share a recommendation?

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Correct..I posted this several months back. However, I think those files are on a DVD as the CD's don't hold much capacity. ALSO...I place .m2t files from the SONY recorder onto a DUAL LAYER DVD which frees-up my more expensive CF cards. AND-YES....one can use DVD-RW's as well on the Bogart side.

Here is another piece of advice as well: Simply BURN your finished AVCHD in HD ARABESK. One can now IMPORT AVCHD via the BOGART side as well using the RECORD WINDOW USB ICON.

Lastly, another piece of advice: When saving an AVCHD project to a disc or USB device etc. set your project to MTS. This will also import on the BOGART SIDE.

Now that the 2.3E addressed the H264 MM issue, I have also been able to save my MP 4 files using OPTIMIZED w/o any audio synch problems to a flash drive/Lacie etc for sending out to YOU TUBE HD.

This video below was done using the FLIP MINO HD tiny cell-phone type camera.

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_mi ... =sceneMain

I then converted to H264 using MM. I also converted these files from native MP 4 to AVCHD using ARABESK 4.5 in the project window. Cool!!!

Many little technical issues have been resolved:

This is a non-professional video experimenting with converted MP4 files (NOT the SONY MP4 wrapper) from the FLIP MINO HD. Click on the HD button for better picture quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtKUv_H5Qw

Volker wrote:Hey Chet,
you can import the AVCHD files from the CD in the Video Record Menu in Bogart.
You don't have to use the detour via Media Manager.

Most AVCHD formats should be recognised. Import is much easier that way.

Just start an HD project and go to the video record screen.
There you will find an USB button. This will bring up an AVCHD import menu.
Here you can import via card reader or directly via CD / DVD / Blu-ray.

You even can re-import the Blu-rays that you have created with Arabesk in that menu. No need for the Media Manager this time :-)

Volker