Karat Brain Freeze

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Karat Brain Freeze

Post by BobFoster »

Yesterday my Karat froze up 3 times during 15 minute breaks at a seminar meeting. Since I was not using a keyboard, I had to use the small hole reset button. Each time the Karat continued on normally after the reset. Anyone else experience any freezes?
Bob F. GVP
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Karat Brain Freeze

Post by CKNewman »

Just a thought here. If you were working in a conference room at a hotel or were in some other large building there could have been some power fluctuations that coincided with the breaks. Next time you might consider bringing a UPS with AVR as we've discussed here before. Even the lights being down and then coming up full, or the AC coming up full, etc. could create a temporary brown-out condition.

What do you suspect?
Craig Newman
BobFoster
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

I suspect a software bug. I have been recording in this building for several years with Renomee Plus and S4000 Pro units. It is the Georgia State Bar building, Formerly the Federal Reserve Bank building in Atlanta. Pretty much the best of everything. I never had a freeze of either of the previous units operating in the same conference rooms. I currently carry about 375 to 400 lbs of equipment that requires about 2 hours set up time. Not really looking for more equipment/weight. The added bulky AC adapter for the Karat was a disappointment over a simple AC cable to also take on the road. It only freezes after recording for 1 1/2 to 2 hours of continuous recording of analog SD material and then changing projects. The unit is using less energy with no hard drive activity during this "rest" period. Also no light changes during the entire day. Thanks for your reply.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Thanks for your reply Bob. Have you tried to duplicate this problem in your studio by recording into your Karat for two hours and then attempting to change projects?
Craig Newman
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Yes. Another associate records the same seminars and provides them to me on tapes. I would typically record the tape, switch to another project and then start another tape. That is not exactly the same as my example, so I will try to duplicate the exact same scenario today. Also, the Karat does not freeze immediately after changing projects. It freezes after sitting unused for a few minutes after the project change.
Bob F. GVP
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Follow up: I tried to closely replicate my on site setup. It is not 100%. I converted to 1 monitor viewing, S-video input from a camera, same project settings, recorded for 1:50:00, changed to a different Project and let the Karat sit idle for 15 minutes. NO freeze. In all fairness, it does not freeze every time. I will be recording another 6 hour seminar this Friday and possibly one on Thursday. One other criteria that I cannot replicate is the online teleconferencing to two other cities live. It should not be a factor as the teleconference unit is fed by an 8 input switcher to an active distribution amp and is not in the circuitry with the Karat. We'll see what happens this week.
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

When you were recording the seminar and then switched to another project, did you also put the Karat in record pause (if it does that)? Did you also record in the camera (as well as in the Karat) and then check the camera footage after you had changed the project in the Karat? I'm wondering if the signal the camera sends to the Karat changes and causes the Karat to start polling the different inputs, the same way a projector might when you disconnect the input to it.
Craig Newman
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

The Karat receives it's signal from a video switcher via an active S-video distribution amp. The amp relays the switcher signal to a field monitor, a backup stand alone DVD recorder, the Karat and the teleconference unit. The switcher has three sources. 2 cameras and a VGA input for Power Point presentations. The switcher has a built in conversion unit for the VGA signal. There is no record pause like you would find on a camera or VCR. I don't record on either of the cameras. When I change to a new project, I bring up the record window to be sure that project is receiving the video signal from the correct source. The Karat does not search for input signals. It is a manual selection only.