Problem Exporting

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Problem Exporting

Post by Rte80west »

I think I read info on this on forum but after an hour of searching, I cannot find anything.

Trying to export via Media Manager:

PC Files--> H264 direct mp4 - DOES NOT WORK

YouTube 1920x1080 Full HD (mp4) - DOES WORK

I am just trying to export HD footage w/o loss and thought one of these two would work well. Why wont the first option listed work? And is there a better recommend for a more preferred file type that wont have any loss/compression?

BTW, the ISO burn is a good option but only for COMPLETED DVD. Right now, I just want to get material off my system and store it for later import and at THAT point I will try the ISO archive.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Re: Problem Exporting

Post by MichaelD »

Just use the Project back-up option in Project Settings.

This is a full HD version of your footage - requires rendering though !

The .ISO version is good for making a hard drive copy of your DVD's but that is all - the footage has already been compressed.
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

As Michael says, use the backup as described in my reply of 18th July.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

thanks guys. Lot of info, I must have missed that in the 7/18 reply, Ian. I will review again. Again, thanks to both for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Ian,

I reviewed again. I was under the impression the backup method you described in 2) would restore the storyboard as is - with transitions, effects etc all in place. All I want to do is archive the completed video stream and then be able to reload it as one video 'chunk'. Upon re-reading I THINK thats what it intends right? Your comment "further editing may be limited" seems to imply that - which is good, this is what I want. Regardless, I will simply try it as you describe and see what I get. Probably the easiest way.

Also, MichaelD made a comment that "the .ISO version is good for making a hard drive copy of your DVD's but that is all - the footage has already been compressed." - I was under the impression this would then mean the footage is NOT lossless. Compression more or less equals loss right? Sorry if I'm not grapsing something obvious.
IanPearson
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Post by IanPearson »

You are correct, your story board, complete with transitions etc., will all be there when using the “Restore Storyboard”.

What I mean by “further editing will be limited” is, what comes back will be a single scene, with all the transitions, effects, audio etc. embedded into this scene, just like making a scene of the whole storyboard. Therefore further editing such as changing a transition, an effect, or certain audio sections would be a problem.

Since all you want to do is save a copy of your story board and then bring it back later without further editing, the process will suit you just fine.

In the process of making a DVD, your storyboard will be a compressed version, which is a reduction in resolution, which yes can be considered a loss. Even using the backup storyboard, there is some compression to HDV, but nowhere near as much as that with a DVD.

The only totally lossless backup is my No3, backup AV data, but this does not save the storyboard transitions, etc. You could of course make a scene of your storyboard, which will weld all your transitions, etc. to the footage, then add this scene to your storyboard and remove the all the existing storyboard and then use the backup AV data process.

However, since in this format I think it can only be played / viewed on a Bogart Cassie, it is not suitable for other platforms. At some point it will need to be converted to another format.

I am now getting to the limit of my coded knowledge, so will end at this point.

Ian
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Ian,

Your "limit of coded knowledge" far exceeds mine so thank you for the clarification and details. I understand perfectly what was unclear to me before so thank you for that, it's made my options clearer to me.

Much appreciated.
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

the footage has already been compressed." - I was under the impression this would then mean the footage is NOT lossless. Compression more or less equals loss right? Sorry if I'm not grapsing something obvious.
Correct - Arabesk has already compressed the file for burning to the disc and so it is not lossless.
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

OK... I'm starting to connect the dots better in my head. Thanks to both of you.

On another note, I tried exporting to a flash drive via the backup option in Project Settings. I selected the H264 (RB) mode though, not the HDV mode. Which one is preferred? The H264 (RB) mode got hung up halfway through; not sure whats wrong, the footage plays fine on the storyboard. I am trying to export HD footage and I do have Render Booster active.
IanPearson
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Post by IanPearson »

As I said my knowledge of codecs and formats is a little limited ( I often rely on Michael and Lou to guide me on this topic), but I was told by MS Germany that
1. SD project = DV Dif output
2. HD project + mode HDV = HDV MPEG-2 output.
3. HD project + mode MTS = H.264/MPEG-4 AVC output.
Which to me means the HDV mode is less compressed. They also said that HDV is always 1280 x 720p or 1440 x 1080i 50. This of course is PAL land, but I guess the principle is the same for NTSC.

Incidentally, I have all my completed films backed up as described in my procedure No2, onto an external USB HDD. Not only does this give me a backup, but I can plug the HDD into any HDTV, which most now have a USB input and the films show up on the TV menu and can be played in full HD.

I do not need to burn DVD’s any more for my own use. The only downside is that chaptering etc., which Arabesk creates, is obviously not available.

Ian