Editing for music videos

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

Editing for music videos

Post by videojim »

Anyone do much editing of music videos? I have made a few, and have the idea of throwing up the raw material into the storyboard, so the music can be mounted, then rearranging the scenes to fit the music. It rips the music out, I know, but I do it anyway, because I make the music start at the very beginning. That way its easy to put music right back in after I have removed a scene. Its an experimental process, very frustrating, but it works. Cassie won't put music in without video, unlike other software, so this is what I am left with. Ideas?
Skype ID-talkingrock756
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Re: Editing for music videos

Post by Volker »

Hello,
you could go to the audio recording window, import the audio file and then make a video scene from the selected audio clip.
Then go to the video editing window, add this (black) scene to the storyboard. It includes the audio in the original audio track (track 1).
Then you can add your other video clips as inserts on top of this black scene. You can move and trim the clips in the storyboard without affecting the audio at all.
But beware not to accidentally delete the (black) background clip :-)

Best regards,
Volker
Volker Hill - Germany
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

Not sure if you know this but you can also split the audio to the beat. Go into your audio recording window and select your audio clip. Then click on split. Start playing your clip and move your mouse over to use. When the audio gets to a point where you anticipate inserting a new video clip click "use". You can do this and click use on every beat if you want to. When the song is done playing hit ok and you'll have the song split up in your audio record screen and you'll know how long to make each video clip to go along with each audio clip. It's not precise and it takes practice but it does work.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

Not sure if you know this but you can also split the audio to the beat. Go into your audio recording window and select your audio clip. Then click on split. Start playing your clip and move your mouse over to use. When the audio gets to a point where you anticipate inserting a new video clip click "use". You can do this and click use on every beat if you want to. When the song is done playing hit ok and you'll have the song split up in your audio record screen and you'll know how long to make each video clip to go along with each audio clip. It's not precise and it takes practice but it does work.
As above but you can also check the tick box that says "Insert as scenes in storyboard" when in Audio Split. This then creates black video scenes (with a music note drawn on them) the same length as your split audio directly into the Story Board for you !

Then, back in Video Edit, you can choose one of your scenes in the Scene Bin and click "replace". Casablanca will then automatically trim your scene to the length of the newly created 'audio' scene in the Story Board.

This is a very quick and efficient way to edit to the beat (as long as your clips in the Scene Bin are longer than those in the Story Board).

One downside . . . . you can't add effect between scenes as this then affects the audio :(