Microphone Windscreens

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobNaughton
Casablanca Unit: Smart Edit 8 Prestige Plus 256MB, Bluebox World, PIP Studio,Disk Transfer, QuadCam, Motion Perfect, Motion 3D, Photo Studio2, Photo Transfer, Audio Effects Pkg, Magic Lights, Filter Pack,Arabesk 4,That's about it. I generally use a 2 monitor setup.

Shoot with 2 Sony VX2000's, and also a VX2100.

Microphone Windscreens

Post by BobNaughton »

Does anyone know if there is a windscreen designed for a lavalier microphone for outside use. I know there are windscreens designed for mikes for outside use that look like giant furballs to reduce windnoise, and I wouldn't want to pin something like that on a grooms lapel. I'm just wondering if there is something better than the standard foam lav mike windscreen. I have a potential job doing a wedding ceremony that will be outside on or next to the ocean, where I expect to have more wind problems than usual.
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Re: Microphone Windscreens

Post by Beachy »

For the conditions you describe, there isnt a muff that will stop it! (Check out any outside broadcast) I have had good results in dropping the mic into the top pocket of the groom! ! But a Shaggy cover is the only way that you may half get away with it. (Try to hide it with the buttonhole flower!) If you can, film with your back to the wind, Failing that, if you get a clean piece of ambient sound, and insert edit it over the windy bits!....As a last resort try Alka-Seltzer, That always cures my wind :D beachy
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Check your camera menu for wind settings in the AUDIO mode. Wind Cut etc. Some newer cameras have this feature. ALSO....experiment with the attenuate feature as well. ALWAYS try this before the "big-shoot" by using headphones and listening to the audio at home.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

A couple of mics, the TRAM TR50 and the PSC lavalier are very small and can be taped between layers of clothing and still yield quality audio. They are fairly expensive but do the job. The clothing prevents the wind distortion over the mic's pickup surface. Taping sandwiches the mic between clothing and prevents clothing rustle. A loop of tape with the sticky side out placed on each side of the mic and one above the top of the mic keeps the clothing from moving. You might try this procedure on an existing mic less the foam screen which amplifies the clothing rustle.
BobNaughton
Casablanca Unit: Smart Edit 8 Prestige Plus 256MB, Bluebox World, PIP Studio,Disk Transfer, QuadCam, Motion Perfect, Motion 3D, Photo Studio2, Photo Transfer, Audio Effects Pkg, Magic Lights, Filter Pack,Arabesk 4,That's about it. I generally use a 2 monitor setup.

Shoot with 2 Sony VX2000's, and also a VX2100.

Post by BobNaughton »

To Beachy, Lou, and Bob, thank you for responding. I probably wont get this Job anyway, but I dont want to start worrying about these things A day or two before the event. I did check my camera settings and dont seem to have any wind cut or attenuate feature. Although I believe one of my older HI-8 cameras does have it.

Beachy, your idea of placing the mike in the grooms pocket seems like the quicker fix, although taping the mike under the clothing may be more secure. I'll have to experiement as Bob suggests to see which works best. One of these days the problem will arise like a snake to attack me.
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Post by Beachy »

As a last resort, try taping the Mic to the roof of the grooms mouth!! Only problem with this is retching, dribbling, and being unable to pronounce, th... :D Good luck Bob....
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

I have used a combination of a bit of cheesecloth wrapped around the foam cover of the lavalier mike and then used a little black gaffer's tape to apply it to tux.

I have done this attaching it to the inside edge of the tux and attaching it directly so it was "mostly hidden" by the boutonnière.

I found the inside edge easier, less noticeable and at least as effective.

The trick is to make sure that it is totally secure and cushioned so clothing noise (tux with mike dragging over shirt) does not transmit to the mike.

Another little trick many might not know is if you loop a little bit of the lead wire near the mike itself it will kill the noise generated by touching the lead by hand or clothing movement.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly